I’ve been a consistent blog reader for years. I was scrolling through pages of beauty, fashion and lifestyle long before I put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard)!
So what do I look for in a blog? Well, in no particular order, these are the things that really capture my attention and keep me re-visiting a particular blog…
You just can’t beat the power of imagery to draw you in. Images that look professional, crisp, creative, and use good lighting are what instantly appeal to me. I also love flat lays to show everything from fashion and beauty products, to a well organised desk or coffee and brunch at a cafe.
Pages that are formatted to look simple but also beautiful and elegant are my jam! I don’t like looking at lots of clutter or too many dark colours as it can make it feel too closed in and visually overwhelming. I also enjoy layouts that have simple navigation menus and easy to use search functions and page links.
I love blogs where the writers personality really comes through. I don’t want to feel like I’m reading a formal article, so I think it’s great when bloggers are completely themselves, and a good sense of humour is always a plus! I just want to relate to the them and feel like I’m catching up with a friend when I visit their site.
Back in the day I was all about the makeup blogs and that was pretty much it. These days, however, I enjoy reading about any number of things. That’s why I tend to frequent lifestyle blogs more than anything nowadays. I’m talking blogs that have elements of beauty, fashion, home decorating, various lifestyle tips and tricks, healthy recipes, etc.
So, on the topic of what I like in a blog, I thought I’d also share my favourites of the moment. This list changes all the time, but right now these are the top 5 blogs I’ve been frequenting…
- Sonia Styling – Sonia is amazing, lovely, has the best hair I’ve ever seen, AND is from my city…so, Adelaide represent!!
- With All My Affection – I have serious love for all of Arielle’s pictures, whether they’re ones she’s taken herself or sourced from elsewhere, they’re always beautiful!
- Cupcakes & Cashmere – Emily is really inspiring… she’s turned her blog into her full time career and started a fashion line!
- Cara Loren – This one is all about fashion but I absolutely love her style and her little family is serious #goals.
- Smaggle – I only found this one the other day but am instantly obsessed. Carly is really funny!
And here are some pretty pictures of my faves…
What do you look for in a blog?
What are your favourite blogs right now? I’m always keen to find more sites to read!